Final Competition Report
Investment Strategy Planning:
KWHS Stocks Spreadsheet
Mid-project Team Review Document
Mid-project Team Review
Mid-project Team Review:
Your brief review should consist of the following three sections:
- Investment strategy: How is your strategy shaping up? What are the rules and behaviors that are guiding your portfolio selections? What tactics are you using to maximize your portfolio selections? How is your team strategy unique?
- Team decision-making process: This should cover how the team is working together and determining which individual stocks to buy
- Top stock holdings: This will allow the judges to ensure the team is on the correct track
- Title page: Your team name, OTIS ID, school name, finalized team member names
- Content: 1-2 pages, double spaced, 12 point font; Times New Roman
- Name your document as: Region-[OTIS ID]-[Team Name]
- Example: Region 3-12345-KWHS Ballers
- Submit in doc or pdf format, not exceeding 5MB
Final Competition Report Details
Section 1: Investment Recommendations
This section should inform your final recommendation for Reshma Sohoni’s portfolio.
- What is your team’s investment strategy and why?
- State your unique team strategy clearly, creatively and succinctly before providing more detail. Since it is your team’s plan of attack, then it should not be buried in your final paper
- Did you invest all the money in stocks or did you leave some in cash?
- How does this fit with Reshma’s position in the life cycle?
- What are your risk considerations?
- What unique strategy have you developed to invest Reshma’s money?
- What sectors does your team recommend WGAM invest in and why?
- How much should be invested in each sector and why?
- What industries does your team recommend WGAM invest in and why?
- How much should be invested in each industry and why?
- Teams should provide supporting evidence for their strategy by using tools like:
- Porter’s Five Forces Model
- Relative value ratios
- What stocks does your team recommend WGAM invest in and why?
- How much should be invested in each stock and why?
- Teams should provide supporting evidence for their strategy by using:
- Analysis of financial statements
- Financial ratios
- Relative value ratios
- SWOT analysis
- We hope to see a snapshot of your OTIS portfolio and trading results.
Section 2: Investment Decision Process
- How did your team make investment decisions at the beginning of the competition?
- How did your team make investment decisions at the end of the competition?
- Did your team use different tools (i.e. SWOT, financial ratios) in the analysis process?
- Did members of your team use different tools?
- What tools did your team find the most effective in its analysis?
- Why were some tools less effective?
- What would your team have done differently in the investment decision process?
- What did you learn about the investment decision-making process?
Section 3: Team Dynamics
- What were some of the challenges presented by working in a team?
- How did the team make decisions (e.g., vote, discussions, etc.)?
- How were tasks divided between team members?
- What particular skills made each member valuable?
- Did you have any disagreements? How did you work through them?
Section 4: Industry Ethics
Ethics is an essential aspect of money management. All teams should review the CFA Institute’s Asset Manager Code and operate by these standards. We expect you to read these rules and apply them to all you do on behalf of your potential client throughout the competition. You do not need to include a separate ethics section in your final paper; however, if you have a compelling story to tell that is related to ethics or you want to incorporate these standards in some way into your team’s strategy and approach, we encourage you to do so.
Section 5: Takeaways
- What did your team learn from this competition?
- What would your team have done differently in hindsight?
- Why was the competition easier or more difficult than your team imagined?
- Did your team enjoy this competition? Why or why not?
Something not clicking?
Go to the resources page of the KWHS investment competition website for more educative resource! https://kw.wharton.upenn.edu/kwhs-invests-2019-2020/resources/
Find an interesting article or video?
Bring it in to share with the group!